Heart-to-Heart with Diane

Hello and Welcome! Isn't raising a family the greatest!? I know I've got the best job in the world, just being Mom! I love sharing things I've discovered that make being "Mom" better, easier or more fulfilling, and that is what this blog is all about. Welcome!

Saturday, November 1, 2008

Apples!


This year my trees are loaded with apples. It seems we are the only one in the area that got apples—some fluke of weather. We've given lots away, and with an uncertain economy, I am trying to preserve them as much as I can. I am not an ambitious canner, so I tried to think of ways I could do a little each day to put up these apples. They were not sprayed, so very few of them are perfect (and won't store).

Here's what I came up with, and it seems to be working great!

Too-Easy Applesauce
Wash apples and cut in fourths, removing the core. Do not peel. Fill a big cooking pot with apples and 1" water. Put a lid on and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until apples are tender. Ladle into a blender and puree. Pour into recycled cottage cheese or yogurt containers, leaving 1" space for expansion when freezing. Write "Applesauce '08" on the lid, and freeze. This is really sweet and delicious on whole wheat pancakes, or stirred into plain yogurt!

Ready-to-Go Apple Slices
To prevent browning, pour 1/2 cup of pineapple juice, orange juice or lemon juice (diluted in water) into the bottom of a gallon sized ziplock bag. Wash apples and slice them thinly right into the bag, discarding the core. When the bag is full, ziplock shut and rotate back and forth to make sure the juice coats all the apple slices. Open bag and drain the juice into the next ziplock bag to use again. Close bag, inserting a straw in to suck out all the air before sealing completely. Freeze. These are great to use in apple desserts and makes the job a lot quicker!

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

  • At November 7, 2008 at 6:18 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    This is about apples. We, here in NY, have also been the recipients of a bountiful apple crop this year. The amazing thing about it is that we have had those trees for almost 30 years and they have never produced any apples!! This year there were so many we didn't have to go to the local orchard to buy any. I have heard similar stories including a neighbor finding the tree in her pasture full of apples and she didn't even know it was an apple tree. What could be the reason for this? It has to be more than the weather. It has me thinking about the seven years of plenty and the seven years of famine as spoken of in the Old Testament. Whatever it is, we count the abundance of apples as a great blessing to our family.

     
  • At November 7, 2008 at 8:35 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Yes, Joanie, it appears the Lord is providing for His people and will continue to provide, and we need to praise and thank Him as we accept these blessings!

    Thanks, Diane, for sharing your life with us in this blog!

     
  • At November 9, 2008 at 6:34 PM , Blogger JulieD said...

    Hi!
    This is coming from Bakersfield, CA. I wish we could say we had an abundance this year in our garden, but unfortunately that is not the case.
    Our heirloom and roma tomato plants contracted some sort of disease and died off terribly soon in the season. Same with our yellow squash!
    Half, of my five year old rosemary bush, died as did the,well established, chives it was planted with.
    Now for the weirdness. The trailing rosemary plant bloomed about five times this season and my old mint patch flourished,bloomed, died, flourished again, and is about to bloom again!
    I was talking to a friend of mine (who knows A LOT of people around town) and she said people either had a bumper crop or everything died! How strange!
    Does anyone have ANY thoughts as to what could be the cause of all of this?
    This next comment is for Diane (excuse me if that seems too informal, seeing how we have never met). I was reading your "favorites" to my girls, and they got all excited to find out two of your favorite movies are "National Treasure 1 and 2. We LOVE those movies at our house, and never tire of them.
    We also took your advice and read the orginal "Pinocchio". Actually one of my daughters read it for her assigned reading. She was in fourth grade at the time, and though I had to help her a bit with some of the words, she ABSOLUTELY LOVED it. She is in the fifth grade now and STILL talks about the book. I found quite a bit of spiritual truths tucked away in those pages, and used them as a springboard to discuss spiritual matters with her and her sisters (seeing how they were listening in as the story was being read).
    Thank you for the suggestion.
    Keep up the great work you are doing, both as a mom and now as a grandmother. Even though we do not know each other, you have been a blessing to our family through the work of your ministry as mother, teacher, author, cook, etc.
    God Bless!
    ~Sincerely~
    Julie D.

     
  • At November 10, 2008 at 6:44 PM , Blogger TJ said...

    I am the daughter of a mom who loves your products.I think it's interesting to hear what you have to say.Especially when your kids are the subject. I love your homeschooling stuff and I love to read (thanks to your Happy Phonics.)

    A Happy Homeschooler,
    Brianne Yelton

     
  • At November 11, 2008 at 1:48 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Diane,
    Thank you for sharing the passion you have for your family with us. Please know that you inspire, and help to ignite the flames that need to be kept burning in our hearts & home.
    This is a wonderful season, and I think I will start a sewing project with my 11 yr. old.
    Lorin

     
  • At November 13, 2008 at 6:03 PM , Blogger Jim Kimmel said...

    As long as you are freezing applesauce and apple slices you might as well do some juicing and freeze that too. I made 5 gallons and froze 3. The other 2 gallons easily lasted 2 weeks and tasted the same as the day I juiced them.

    Enjoy,
    Jim

     

Post a Comment

<< Home