Heart-to-Heart with Diane

Hello and Welcome! Isn't raising a family the greatest!? I know I've got the best job in the world, just being Mom! I love sharing things I've discovered that make being "Mom" better, easier or more fulfilling, and that is what this blog is all about. Welcome!

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Peasant Blouse Mania

Louisa (13) has been sewing peasant blouses like crazy!

I love to sew! I want to teach my girls to love it, too, so we started with very simple projects when they were younger: pillowcases, a straight skirt with an elastic waist, and the like.

Now we are making peasant blouses which are super-easy, fun, and in fashion too! A peasant blouse has just 3 pattern pieces (front, back, and sleeve) and requires no facings, zipper, buttons, gathers, set-in sleeves or any other fancy sewing. It is feminine, cool and breezy—just perfect for summer.

Once Louisa got the hang of it, she started producing peasant blouses in an hour and with lots of enthusiasm! She is getting quite at-ease at the sewing machine too—just what I wanted. Since I have a too-big stash of fabric, and plenty of elastic and thread, these aren't costing us a penny, but they are greatly expanding Louisa's wardrobe. How fun!

Ammon calls them "pleasant blouses". And they really are!


Louisa (13) and Emily (19) sewed matching peasant blouses
(with different sleeve variations).

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

  • At June 17, 2009 at 8:45 PM , Blogger Montserrat said...

    Do you have a pattern to recommend? My daughters and I would love to make these too. "Pleasant blouses" is a good name!

     
  • At June 17, 2009 at 9:36 PM , Blogger Diane Hopkins said...

    We just used a very old pattern I had in my "sewing stash" since the '70's! I had sewn it as a teenager myself. Patterns are basically the same over the years—the human form doesn't really change even though fashion does. Since retro is back, I guess this '70's pattern is back too.

    A great place to find cheap patterns is at thrift shops. Don't get distracted by the old fashioned drawings on the front, but just look at the shape of the clothes, you can get some wonderful patterns for almost nothing.

    Have fun sewing your "pleasant blouses"!

     
  • At June 18, 2009 at 7:11 AM , Blogger Danielle said...

    Lovely job...I just sewed one of these maternity style...it's so hard to find modest maternity clothes! Anyway, I made it from green/white gingham...so comfy! I'll have to make some for after baby too!

     
  • At June 18, 2009 at 12:17 PM , Blogger Toni said...

    so pretty, she could sell those they are so cute.

    My girls and I are learning to sew, we are still at teh pillow tote bag stage, but its a start:-)

     
  • At June 18, 2009 at 12:28 PM , Blogger Diane Hopkins said...

    A lot of people are asking me for a pattern. I looked through McCalls Easy Stitch 'n Save patterns, which cost about $2.99, and found this one: McCalls 5451. It has elastic around a high waist too, but you could leave that off. I think every pattern company has some version of the easy peasant blouse.

    Have fun sewing!

     
  • At June 19, 2009 at 6:23 PM , Blogger Montserrat said...

    Thanks you for the pattern suggestions. With six daughters we will have a blast making these and staying modest in the Nevada heat!

     
  • At July 4, 2009 at 2:04 PM , Blogger ravengal said...

    Louisa looks like your carbon-copy, Diane!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home