Heart-to-Heart with Diane

Hello and Welcome! Isn't raising a family the greatest!? I know I've got the best job in the world, just being Mom! I love sharing things I've discovered that make being "Mom" better, easier or more fulfilling, and that is what this blog is all about. Welcome!

Monday, October 26, 2009

Comfort Apple Crisp

Apple-picking Ammon


Oooh, yum!


If you still have apples on your trees, don't miss this delicious autumn dessert that Louisa made tonight for dessert. It comes out of the oven with a crisp crust on the top, and a pudding sauce in the bottom of the dish. It was so comforting and wonderful, I just had to share the recipe with you!


Comfort Apple Crisp


Filling:

apples (approximately 8-10 cups sliced)

3 T. whole wheat flour

1 tsp. cinnamon

1 T. honey (or 2 drops of liquid stevia extract)

1/4 cup water


Topping:

1 cup whole wheat flour

1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts

2 1/2 cups oatmeal

2/3 cup softened butter (or melted)

1/2 cup + 1 T. honey


Fill a 9 x 13" glass baking dish to the top with sliced unpeeled apples. Sprinkle with flour, cinnamon and toss to coat. Drizzle honey (or drop stevia) over the top of the apples, and add 1/4 cup water to the dish.

To make topping, combine flour, nuts, oatmeal, butter and honey. Spread over the apples evenly and bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until top is brown and crisp, and apples are tender.


Enjoy!



Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At October 27, 2009 at 4:50 PM , Blogger Jill Mulder said...

    We just decided to make a comfort food, and were going to make Indian pudding. Then I remember the huge pile of apples I needed to use up my counter, and suggested that we make apple crisp. I decided to check my email and then get to work on the apple crisp, and when I opened your email, I had to laugh! Now I have a new apple crisp recipe that I will go make.... right now! I love your blog, Diane!

     
  • At November 2, 2009 at 12:38 AM , Blogger Judson Family said...

    Yummy Apple Crisp.. I need to use up some apples.. great comfort food

     

Post a Comment

<< Home