Heart-to-Heart with Diane

Hello and Welcome! Isn't raising a family the greatest!? I know I've got the best job in the world, just being Mom! I love sharing things I've discovered that make being "Mom" better, easier or more fulfilling, and that is what this blog is all about. Welcome!

Monday, November 3, 2008

Knitting Bug


We've got the knitting bug at my house!

My support group, Homeschooling Friends, holds Friday Fun classes each week--a sort of cooperative school situation where we teach each other's kids and enjoy being together for a few hours on Friday mornings. Well, one of the moms is teaching the kids to knit, and I sneaked a peek in her class, and then got hooked myself. I wasn't quite sure how to hold my needles, or what to do, but with some effort, I learned to knit and I am having a great time with it. The learning curve is pretty steep at first, and it can be easy to get discouraged, but if you can get the kids (and yourself) to just stick with it awhile, suddenly you are knitting like a pro!

I taught the rest of my kids to knit now, and we are all enjoying cozy evenings with all our needle clicking as we visit and knit. This is really fun! Another plus, it gives moms a reason to sit down and rest for a few minutes during the day without feeling guilty--I am still being productive!

(My daughter Emily shows her finished product above)


So far, we are making cotton washcloths (for dishes, or bath). Using bamboo needles (rather than the aluminum ones I remember from when I was a kid) has really made knitting so much more enjoyable. The bamboo needles are not so slippery, nor so unyielding as the metal ones. I used size 8 and that seems to be a good size to learn on. Before we got each of my knitters a set of bamboo needles, we just used bamboo kitchen shish-kebab skewers, or chopsticks, sharpening the end of each "needle" a little in a pencil sharpener. You can even knit on a pencil if you want to. That works too!

I bought 100% cotton yarn (such as Sugar 'n Cream brand) to make a washcloth. If you buy one ball, it will make 2 washcloths for just about $2 (on sale). Just cast on 36 stitches and knit every row, back and forth, until you have a nice square. It is really easy and fun. And the resulting washcloths are supreme! Wouldn't that make a great gift with a bar of soap?

Here's my finished products so far:


I can recommend a good and easy how-to knitting book, if you want to learn:

Knitting (Kids Can Do It)

Have fun!

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

  • At November 7, 2008 at 5:45 AM , Blogger Candice said...

    I know I'm really going to enjoy your blog! I love to read your thoughts about homeschooling and am always encouraged to do something with love and creativity by your example! Bookmarking it now.... :)

     
  • At November 7, 2008 at 6:13 AM , Blogger Holly said...

    Well hello there, Diane, I'm Holly! Welcome to the world of blogging! I've never learned to knit. Maybe one of these days...

    ~ Hearts ~

     
  • At November 7, 2008 at 7:16 AM , Blogger pilgrimama said...

    I'm ecstatic! You are like the experienced homeschooling mom mentor, I don't quite have in real life. Yay!! Marcella

     
  • At November 7, 2008 at 9:05 AM , Blogger psalm127 said...

    Isn't knitting fun! I sit at the end of my kitchen table while the kids do their school work and work on my knitting.I have taught my oldest daughter so far. My next two in line are still struggling with it but it is fun. This is our knitting group. ha ha and we don't even have to leave our house to get there. Great job!

     
  • At November 7, 2008 at 12:07 PM , Blogger Tammie said...

    Love the blog can't wait to come back and read more! We have never met but because of you I knew that I could homeschool my children and it would be "okay!" I have read lots of your stuff and you have inspired me many times in many things. Thanks so much for all you do and your great example! I am excited to learn more from you by reading your blog!

     
  • At November 7, 2008 at 2:36 PM , Blogger Danielle said...

    Me too Holly! Someday:-)

     
  • At November 7, 2008 at 9:01 PM , Blogger Dana said...

    I too like the blog. I have used your help for a few years now. I have always wanted to e-mail you directly. Thanks for all the help. Do you know about Lapbooks from Currclick.com? We just did one on elections and had tons of fun. Thanks again.

     
  • At November 18, 2008 at 2:10 AM , Blogger loretta said...

    Hi Diane,
    Just wanted to add how much I've enjoyed everything I've read from you. Over the years, your words about mothering and teaching have been a real anchor to me. They've been my ideal and inspiration, although, I feel that I fall short of your example. And...I love knitting. Almost all our children have learned, some still enjoy it. I've read some research about knitting and crocheting being very beneficial to one's health. It lowers blood pressure and slows the heart rate. In stressful times of life, knitting can be a real life saver. knittingonthenet.com has loads of help and patterns for knitting different projects. Enjoy everyone

     

Post a Comment

<< Home