Heart-to-Heart with Diane

Hello and Welcome! Isn't raising a family the greatest!? I know I've got the best job in the world, just being Mom! I love sharing things I've discovered that make being "Mom" better, easier or more fulfilling, and that is what this blog is all about. Welcome!

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Caught the Sewing Bug

Louisa, the seamstress

Louisa just finished sewing her 9th peasant blouse! She even made one for her sister Emily for her July 5th birthday. Making peasant blouses has enabled Louisa to become very comfy with the sewing machine, and she is learning shortcuts too. She has made several sleeve variations and can slap the pattern on the fabric, weight it (rather than pin it) with whatever is handy (cup, trivet, can, notepad) and cut it out in no time at all. This is so fun to see her go . . . to see her sew!

I'm now having a creatively fun time sewing little summer dresses for my granddaughters. We found an easy pattern (Simplicity 5695) that has the same elastic neck and sleeves as a peasant blouse. This is quick to make and takes so little yardage that I am able to use the fabric I have on hand.

First I made Rachel Lily a "kitty-cat dress" with a head scarf and little purse. The dress pattern can be varied with a bottom ruffle, so I made that one for Rebekah. I left the elastic out of the sleeve to create a cool "fly-away" sleeve. Next, I am going to make another variation for Abbie.

Sewing is so artistic! It really is a satisfying to be able to create something useful at such a low cost.


Rachel Lily's kitty-cat dress











Rebekah's dress with cool "fly-away" sleeves

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

  • At July 8, 2009 at 2:46 PM , Blogger Kirstine said...

    I would love to get the pattern for the peasant blouses.  Kirstine Clark ceoeclark@hotmail.com

     
  • At July 8, 2009 at 2:47 PM , Blogger Kirstine said...

    I would love to have the pattern number to the peasant blouses, they are so cute. Kirstine Clark ceoeclark@hotmail.com

     
  • At July 10, 2009 at 8:27 AM , Blogger Heather Lloyd said...

    This website has really good instructions for making a peasant blouse without having a real pattern:
    http://indietutes.blogspot.com/2007/07/peasant-blouse.html
    I've used it successfully to make two blouses for my 3-year old daughter! Thanks for the idea, Diane.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home