Heart-to-Heart with Diane

Hello and Welcome! Isn't raising a family the greatest!? I know I've got the best job in the world, just being Mom! I love sharing things I've discovered that make being "Mom" better, easier or more fulfilling, and that is what this blog is all about. Welcome!

Saturday, November 28, 2009

Eagle Scout!

Hurrah!

My son Ammon just received his Eagle Scout, and I am so proud of him! He chose a creative Eagle project that really reflects his personality: he organized a strings orchestra with teens and youth in our community to play at rest homes to cheer up the patients. He chose fun music that he thought they would recognize, and as a culminating event, he planned an "Hour of Music" for the community. He conducted the orchestra himself, and also performed a violin solo.

For a boy to get his Eagle Scout award takes a lot of Mom-motivating and Dad-going-to-campouts! It takes summer camps, weekly scout meetings, service projects and merit badges . . . and effort to become an Eagle Scout. Ammon is the last of my 4 sons, and I have to admit to a huge sigh of relief as his pin was fastened to his uniform. This part of my mothering journey is completed! He "did good" and I am so grateful. Seems just yesterday he was a little 8 year old cub scout. Scouting has been good for him!

I love what scouting does for boys. I found the scouting program to be an excellent add-on curriculum for homeschooling! I worked it into our school plans wherever it fit. The merit badge books are thorough and have great projects.

I was giving my children a little lesson at morning devotional on being a good Christian and developing good character traits, and found myself repeating the Scout Law: A (Christian) is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean and reverent! If every boy could live up to those ideals, what more would we want?

Just sharing my joy!

. . . a proud mama



Ammon's Eagle Scout award


My son Ammon (18) and my husband Rick

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • At November 29, 2009 at 8:21 AM , Blogger Jill Mulder said...

    Congratulations! That is always such an accomplishment, and such a relief! You have a wonderful family.

     
  • At November 29, 2009 at 10:12 AM , Blogger Cara said...

    Congratulations to Ammon (and parents)!

    We're just starting on the Scout thing, and Girl Scouts at that, but I am loving it for my girl. Hopefully she'll push through and receive her own Gold Award...Scouting is such a great program!

     
  • At November 29, 2009 at 10:57 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Amen! I had a huge smile on my face reading about your Eagle Scout! My son also just earned his Eagle and will have the ceremony in a few weeks. So much hard work goes into such an accomplishment...praise God for the perseverance to see it through! Congratulations to you ALL, and thanks for letting us share in your joy.
    Kelly

     

Post a Comment

<< Home