Heart-to-Heart with Diane

Hello and Welcome! Isn't raising a family the greatest!? I know I've got the best job in the world, just being Mom! I love sharing things I've discovered that make being "Mom" better, easier or more fulfilling, and that is what this blog is all about. Welcome!

Monday, January 11, 2010

Instead of Macaroni & Cheese

Quickest dinner on the block!

I used to rely on boxed Macaroni & Cheese for a quick, easy meal for my kids when I was short on time, or when my husband and I were going out. It is cheap, and the kids like it. I tried not to read the list of ingredients on the side of the box, nor notice the neon-colored powder packet that turns into brilliant orange "cheese" when you add milk and butter. And stains my wooden spoon. Wonder what it does to our kids' insides!?

Here's a quick and almost-instant meal that is nutrition-packed, and just as yummy! Yummier. In fact, I crave this stuff, it is so good! No need to tell anyone that the "rice" is really cauliflower . . . they won't guess!


Instead of Macaroni & Cheese

1 head of cauliflower
2 tsp. mustard
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 cup grated medium or sharp cheddar cheese

Optional: cooked hamburger, chicken, or etc.

More optional: parsley flakes, other seasonings, other cooked veggies, etc. (creative cooking)

Break cauliflower into florets (or chop) and steam in a covered pot for 15 minutes until tender. You can check by inserting a knife into the thickest part. The smaller you chop it, the faster it will cook.

Mix in a serving bowl or casserole dish: mustard, mayonnaise, salt, and grated cheese. (I like to use the horseradish-type mustard!) Add cauliflower to bowl and mash with a potato masher until cauliflower is crumbled.

Stir in meat if you want, but it is a fabulous dish without it. Smooth mixture in the dish and top with more cheese. Finely grated cheese will melt while you are saying the blessing on the food. Hey, that's quick!

Voila!

Just add some raw veggies and you've got a very quick, healthy meal!

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

  • At January 13, 2010 at 2:06 PM , Blogger Cynthia Berenger said...

    Hi, Diane~

    This dish is absolutely delicious. I serve a similar recipe as a substitute for mashed potatoes. I just substitute sour cream for the mayonnaise. Since we eat a moderate carbohydrate diet, mashed potatoes are a treat :) Nobody has every asked, "Is this cauliflower?"

    Agape always,
    Cynthia

     
  • At January 15, 2010 at 7:54 PM , Blogger ka said...

    We tried this for lunch yesterday and loved it! Thank you for the recipe...another yummy way to get those vegetable servings.
    Thanks again,
    Kris

     

Post a Comment

<< Home