Heart-to-Heart with Diane

Hello and Welcome! Isn't raising a family the greatest!? I know I've got the best job in the world, just being Mom! I love sharing things I've discovered that make being "Mom" better, easier or more fulfilling, and that is what this blog is all about. Welcome!

Friday, February 12, 2010

A Delicious Read, Indeed

I want to tell you about my favorite book: Laddie, A True Blue Story. It's not very often that you find such a warm, family-value-oriented book. It is a treasure! The best part of it was reading it out-loud to my children. I found it taught just as much as a sermon . . . with my family chuckling along the way and begging for more. And there is lots more—416 pages of it.

From the eyes of Little Sister (the youngest child living in a big family on a farm in the newly settled Midwest in the 1900’s), we get a delicious taste of strong family values and faith in God. Full of adventures and scrapes—love stories too—with a kind and devoted mother, a protective wise father, and a loving older brother, Laddie, as superb role models that I want to follow!

Leon, a young brother, provides lots of humor, just being a boy. Little Sister, through whose eyes the story unfolds, finds school squelching to her free spirit, and it is hard not to commiserate with her. The mother and father are remarkable Christians in spite of the many challenges of taming a new land. Such a sweet story of wholesome, decent, loving family life!

Get it at your library, borrow it from a friend, get if from my bookstore. . . but read it! It will definitely enrich your life.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

  • At February 13, 2010 at 8:41 AM , Blogger Debbie S. said...

    Yes, yes, yes! This book is a wonderful recommendation and a wonderful read! For older children, do read the background of the writer Gene Stratton Porter, an amazing woman naturalist, who inspires and aspires all nature lovers to preserve and maintain God's beautiful natural resources intact. There is an entire series of incredible books written by the same author to enjoy. :)

     
  • At February 13, 2010 at 3:05 PM , Blogger Elisha Jones said...

    Gene Stratton Porter is one of my favorite authors. I love Laddie, but I have to admit that my favorite book she wrote is Keeper of the Bees. If you haven't read it, I highly suggest it. I am reading it out loud to my children and there are so many amazing teaching moments on morality, chastity, respect. It is a wonderful book!

     
  • At February 14, 2010 at 10:57 AM , Blogger Diane Hopkins said...

    Thanks for the recommendation. I've read her other books: Freckles, The Harvester, etc. but not Keeper of the Bees. Can't wait to read it!

     
  • At February 19, 2010 at 7:03 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Oh - I feel so bad! I tried valiantly to read this book with my chilren a few months ago, but nobody would take to it. We got about 1/4 way through it before I sadly set it aside. To be honest, it wasn't holding my interest much either, maybe that was partly because of the children? I've heard such wonderful things about it...this has inspired me to try again. Please tell me it gets better as you get further into the book...??

     

Post a Comment

<< Home