Heart-to-Heart with Diane

Hello and Welcome! Isn't raising a family the greatest!? I know I've got the best job in the world, just being Mom! I love sharing things I've discovered that make being "Mom" better, easier or more fulfilling, and that is what this blog is all about. Welcome!

Friday, January 15, 2010

To My Grown-Up Son

My young son Ammon— interested in snails, plants and everything else!

I am still pondering on the thought of becoming the woman I wanted to be. My goal has always been to be a good, loving, caring mother. I think I have been, but we all remember the things we could have done better.

Once many years ago, when I was very ill for a few weeks, I began to see life through my children's eyes. Unable to do much more than lay in bed, or on the couch, the cares of adult life began to fall from me, and I could see how very busy and occupied we appear to our little ones. All I wanted to do was play with my son Ammon and his toys. I could suddenly see the very great value in one-on-one time with a child, doing what he enjoyed. I was not well enough to play, but that was what I truly yearned to do.

Children need us—they need our attentive self, our listening self. They need us to slow down and see life through their eyes once in awhile. And to be playful and move slower. That is why my philosophy of education is based on making it fun and interesting for kids. As soon as I got well enough, we got out Ammon's legos and created things together. I laid on the floor and played with him. We constructed a lego cable car that traversed the room on a cord. Play is always much more entrancing when a parent joins in! I wished that I could always keep that viewpoint, but when I got completely well, the load of adult duties was waiting and my hard-earned perspective gradually waned.

If you are a mother of young children, and want to make a most important resolution this year, consider this one from another of my favorite poems:

To My Grown-Up Son

My hands were busy through the day,
I didn't have much time to play

The little games you asked me to.
I didn't have much time for you.

I'd wash your clothes, I'd sew and cook,
But when you'd bring your picture book

And ask me, please, to share your fun,
I'd say, "A little later, Son."

I'd tuck you in all safe at night,
And hear your prayers, turn out the light,

Then tiptoe softly to the door.
I wish I'd stayed a minute more.

For life is short, and years rush past,
A little boy grows up so fast.

No longer is he at your side.
His precious secrets to confide.

The picture books are put away,
There are no children's games to play,

No good-night kiss, no prayers to hear.
That all belongs to yesteryear.

My hands once busy, now lie still
The days are long and hard to fill.

I wish I might go back and do
The little things you asked me to.

—Alice E. Chase


My grown son Ammon with the banana tree he is growing indoors!


Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

  • At January 18, 2010 at 3:21 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    I could have written this myself about Joel! Thanks for sharing!

     
  • At January 21, 2010 at 8:08 AM , Blogger southern_mama said...

    Hi, Diane. I just came across your blog as I was researching homeschooling information. I am very new to the homeschool lifestyle, and looking forward to being the one to take the time to educate my children. I love this poem! It describes exactly why I intend to homeschool. Life seems to just get busier and busier as time goes by, and I am ready to step back from it all and take some time to teach my children the most important things in life. Thank you for sharing.

     
  • At February 4, 2010 at 8:25 PM , Blogger sevenlittleblessings said...

    Diane..you're gonna make me cry...My oldest(of 7) is now eleven and as I look at my youngest now 2 months old and remember him at this age,I cannot believe how fast the time has gone by and how very busy I now am and have been for the past few years. I've been realizing these past few months how very short the next 8-10 years will seem and my precious first born will be gone from home. I can't even think about it for more than a moment without getting a huge lump in my throat. I vow to spend more time with him this year somehow amidst my very busy household...you're absolutely right this is a terrific resolution. Thank you for all of your encouragement and great ideas through your materials. Thank you for being willing to be a Titus 2 lady when so many of those who've "gone before" are absent or non existant. I've been blessed to have a mother who homeschooled my younger brothers and sisters but alas never had more than 2 kids at home at once so...she doesn't have much advice to offer to this mother of many. You inspire me!! Thanks again...Warmly,Carrie Brown

     

Post a Comment

<< Home