Heart-to-Heart with Diane

Hello and Welcome! Isn't raising a family the greatest!? I know I've got the best job in the world, just being Mom! I love sharing things I've discovered that make being "Mom" better, easier or more fulfilling, and that is what this blog is all about. Welcome!

Monday, August 17, 2009

Melanie's Enchiladas


We just had a wonderful family reunion, all my children and grandbabies, all together for four happy days! We rotated cooking, and when Melanie (my son Nathan's wife) and Louisa (my daughter) had their turn to cook, they invented these yummy enchiladas right on the spot! They were so good, I just had to share the recipe with you!

Don't stress if you don't have all the ingredients--these are easy, meaning just use what you have on hand. She used a "little bit of this and a little bit of that" to season them. You can leave the meat out and make them vegetarian. You can add some leftover rice if you want.

The other easy part is that instead of rolling the enchiladas, you just layer this dish just like lasagna, and you'll saves lots of time, plus they turn out great!

Easy Enchiladas

2 lb. hamburger
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced

Fry together until meat is browned and onions are translucent. Drain.

Add:
1 can pinto beans, drained
1 can kidney beans, drained
1 medium zuchinni, diced
1 can corn, drained
2 small cans green chilies
2 cans (15 oz.) diced tomatoes
2 tsp. chili powder
3/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cumin
3 tablespoons taco seasoning
1 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. oregano leaves
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1 can sliced olives

Simmer for 5-10 minutes until the flavors blend.

You'll need:
4 cups shredded cheese
24 corn tortillas
2 (8 oz.) cans tomato sauce

Get out two 9 x 13" baking dishes, and pour an 8 ounce can of tomato sauce into each one, covering the bottom. Lay 6 corn tortillas down on the tomato sauce, covering the bottom of the dish, overlapping as needed. Scoop a thick layer of filling over the tortillas. Sprinkle 1 cup of cheese over the top evenly. Add another layer of tortillas, filling and cheese. Bake at 350 degrees until bubbly and the cheese is toasty, approx. 20 minutes. Cut into squares to serve with sour cream and salsa.

Makes two 9 x 13" pans, one for now, and one for tomorrow's lunch!

Enjoy!

P.S. If you like my recipes, you might want my cookbook, Hopkins Healthy Home Cooking.

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • At August 18, 2009 at 9:55 AM , Blogger AJ said...

    Sounds great--tasty! Have made similar dish before, only now need to make sans cheese :o/ Need to think of a substitute-- maybe Tofutti sour cream vs. the cheese. We'll see. Substitute cheeses we've tried have tasted nasty. If it works, I will comment again. I like that you have given me an idea of how to use up some of our zuchini!
    Question: How well to you think this would freeze? Have a baby coming & want to prep some meals ahead of time.

     
  • At August 18, 2009 at 12:17 PM , Blogger Diane Hopkins said...

    It will freeze great and congrats on the new baby!

    I know this sounds crazy, but when I wasn't eating cheese (years ago), I finely grated banana squash over my casseroles, and just the appearance of something that looked like cheese was enough to make us not feel so deprived. Sounds funny, but it worked!

     
  • At August 27, 2009 at 2:40 PM , Blogger Pamela R said...

    I have made the same type of dish, but all I used were cheese, tortillas (corn or regular, good way to use up the stale ones from opened bags), and chili from our canned food storage for rotation purposes. Not as healthy as your recipe, but faster.
    I just wanted you to know that I have been homeschooling now for 9 years
    and you have been a major, inspiring influence to me. Thanks for all you do!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home