Heart-to-Heart with Diane

Hello and Welcome! Isn't raising a family the greatest!? I know I've got the best job in the world, just being Mom! I love sharing things I've discovered that make being "Mom" better, easier or more fulfilling, and that is what this blog is all about. Welcome!

Monday, August 24, 2009

Banish Fruit Flies!



Harvest time seems to draw a swarm of fruit flies into my kitchen, which I hate! I was getting driven to distraction with them. They are too tiny to swat and I don't want to spray poison in my kitchen. So, Ammon rigged up a simple fruit fly trap for me that is working so well!

Here's how:

1. Take an ordinary empty water bottle, and discard the cap.

2. Cut the bottle in half with scissors, about 2/3 of the way up the bottle.

3. Use masking or duct tape to close off 3/4 of the bottle mouth opening.

4. Slide the top of the bottle down inside of the bottom of the bottle, with the bottle mouth pointing down.

5. Secure with tape.

6. Using a funnel, pour a few tablespoons of vinegar in the bottle.

Set in any area where you have fruit flies and watch it work!

Labels:

5 Comments:

  • At August 24, 2009 at 6:41 PM , Blogger Toni said...

    oh wonderful I have fruit flies all over , and they never seem to leave and they are so annoying and your right you can;t spray anything around them . Love the trap will try this tommorow , did he use regualr old vinegar?

     
  • At August 24, 2009 at 7:15 PM , Blogger Lara said...

    Thank you for a timely tutorial! The fruit flies have invaded our kitchen en force and are driving us crazy! We'll be trying this out soon!

     
  • At August 24, 2009 at 9:45 PM , Blogger Diane Hopkins said...

    Yes, just regular vinegar. I'm sure an over-ripe banana would work well too! Ammon made me a couple of traps and they have "vacuumed" up most of the fruit flies. The contraption works because although they can easily fly in, once they are in, they can't find their way out the small opening.

     
  • At August 25, 2009 at 9:08 PM , Blogger Amber said...

    vacuuming them up with a shop vac helps too! I may try this too!

     
  • At October 16, 2009 at 8:49 PM , Blogger Lisa Beth W. said...

    Diane,

    I use a wee bit of apple cider vinegar gently mixed with water and a few drops of dish soap. I put it into a small decorative glass bottle, and it is out on my counter all summer. I just rinse it out and replenish every once in a while. It's very similar to your clever solution, but I think prettier!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home