Heart-to-Heart with Diane

Hello and Welcome! Isn't raising a family the greatest!? I know I've got the best job in the world, just being Mom! I love sharing things I've discovered that make being "Mom" better, easier or more fulfilling, and that is what this blog is all about. Welcome!

Saturday, December 5, 2009

Christmas Clam Chowder


Gourmet, steamy clam chowder--yeah!

Ummmmm. . . . as soon as it snows, all I want to eat is soup! And Clam Chowder is one of my favorites soups. It is so easy, and it really is gourmet. Much better than you can find in restaurants!

Hot Clam Chowder is delicious for after sledding, or on Christmas Eve, along with hot chocolate and some crusty bread!

Diane's Easy Clam Chowder

6 strips bacon OR 2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
2 carrots, diced
5 cups water
4 large red potatoes
3 cans diced clams with juice (tuna fish size cans)
1 half-pint whipping cream

In a soup pot, fry bacon until very crisp. Remove, cool and crumble. Drain all but 2 tablespoons of bacon grease from soup pot (or use olive oil and no bacon). Add onions and carrots, and saute until onions are translucent. Add potatoes and water and simmer until potatoes are very tender. Turn off heat and add 3 cans diced clams with juice. Stir in whipping cream. Add water to thin to correct consistency if needed. Salt and pepper and serve immediately. Crumble bacon and use as garnish. Serves 6.

Delicious!

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

  • At March 11, 2010 at 5:57 PM , Blogger Crandall said...

    I made this recipe tonight and we all really enjoyed it. My first experience with clams. My grocery store only had minced clams, not diced, but it was alright. The onions and carrots cooking in bacon grease smelled great. My chowder was a little watery, and not quite like the photo - next time I will use less water and more cream to be a thicker consistency. And I will add more bacon at the end. Thanks for a great recipe!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home